The teaching of English at Westmorland focuses on providing high quality opportunities to develop spoken and written language. We aim to ensure that children are given opportunities for:
- Multi-sensory approaches to learning texts and developing spoken language
- Structured talk- in pairs, small groups and whole class
- Learning stories and non-fiction texts
- Drama and role play games and activities
- Enjoyment of texts both for pleasure and information
- Writing activities which are engaging and meaningful
- Learning which is based around texts or high quality visual literacy
- Cross curricular writing activities which develop children’s understanding of purpose and audience
- Access to high quality texts and a reading environment which is inviting in every classroom
- Rich literary experiences through ‘experts’ such as author, illustrator and poet visits
- Opportunities to celebrate children’s achievements
To find out more about what each year is taught in English click on the link below.
To find out more about what spellings are taught in each year group click on the link below.
To find out more about grammar taught in each year group click on the link below.