Policy and Procedures for dealing with holidays in term time.
Westmorland Primary does not authorise holidays in term time except in exceptional circumstances.
Many school sessions are missed as a result of holidays taken in term time. At Westmorland we believe that holidays in term time are undesirable because of the impact on our pupil’s education. Research shows that there is a big link between levels of attendance and levels of achievement. This policy has been designed to ensure that all parents and carers are fully informed of the school’s procedures and are treated in a fair and consistent manner.
This policy has been designed in accordance with government guidance and guidance from Stockport LA.
The legal position:
Parents have no right to leave of absence for holidays in term time. However, schools have the power to grant absence for holidays of up to 10 days, in special circumstances.
Special circumstances include:
1. Employees who are prevented from taking holidays outside of term time (if the holiday will have minimal disruption on the child’s education.)
2. Where a family needs to spend time together to support each other during or after a crisis.
Holidays will not be authorised for the following reasons as they are not special circumstances:
1. Availability of cheaper holidays.
2. Wherever pupils normally have good attendance.
3. Availability of accommodation.
4. Overlap with beginning or end of term.
In summary, it will be rare for term time holidays to be approved unless there are special circumstances.
Education Penalty notices (EPNs):